Shop My Travel Essentials
15 things you MUST do while you’re in LONDON!
- Westminster. Take a walk around Westminster and see some of the best sights London has to offer – Westminster Abbey, Westminster Cathedral, Palace of Westminster, and Big Ben.
2. Buckingham Palace. While in the Westminster area, don’t forget to stop by Buckingham Palace! (Psst, if the Royal Standard flag is flying, than The Queen is in Buckingham Palace!)
3. Hyde Park. There are four royal parks in London, and Hyde Park is the largest. While in the Hyde Park area you can visit Kensington Palace and Gardens (Prince William and Princess Kate live here!), the Princess Diana Memorial, enjoy tea at The Orangery, or rent a paddle boat on the Serpentine.
4. Take a day trip to Bath. If you have the time to take a day trip while in London, you do not want to miss out on the beautiful sights Bath has to offer. Take a tour of the famous Roman Baths (over 2,000 years old) and the beautiful Bath Abbey church. Live music is common in this city, so grab a delicious meal at one of the dozens of cafes and restaurants lining the streets and enjoy the music. There are many museums in Bath as well, including the Jane Austen Centre and the No. 1 Royal Crescent Museum.
5. Ride the London Eye. YES, it is worth it to ride the London Eye! I recommend purchasing a fast pass for the first ride of the morning, that’s what we did and didn’t have to wait in line at all! (Fun fact: The London Eye gets more visitors per year than the Taj Mahal!)
6. See Tower Bridge. Many people confuse the London Bridge and Tower Bridge. Despite the London Bridges popularity, the Tower Bridge is much more ornate and detailed in comparison. Check out the Tower Bridge Exhibition and stick around to see the bridge lift!
7. Take a tour of the Tower of London. The Tower of London is a historic castle located on River Thames and right next to the Tower Bridge. This was one of my favorite things I did in London and definitely worth the visit! Once inside you can view the Crown Jewels and many other exhibitions.
8. Afternoon Tea. While in London, you must go to an afternoon Tea! The Afternoon Tea at The Rubens at the Palace hotel is a great choice and is right next to Buckingham Palace.
9. Shop at Borough Market. Borough Market is London’s oldest market (over 1,000 years old) and is located in the heart of central London. Here you can shop fresh produce, pastries, oysters, coffee, wine and more.
10. Go to the top of the Shard. The Shard is the tallest building in the United Kingdom, and the view definitely does not disappoint! However, if your not willing to pay £30, (Discounted tickets are available online) head across river to see a beautiful view for free at the top floor of the Sky Garden (known as the Walkie Talkie for it’s unique appearance).
11. See a play. While in London, buy a ticket to see a show at West End, Off-West End and Fringe theatre’s. I highly recommend Les Misérables at the Queen’s Theatre. (Did you known Les Mis is worlds longest running musical?)
12. Visit Platform 9 3/4 at King’s Cross Station. Kings Cross Railway Station is equally stunning inside as it is out. Also, Inside the station make a visit to platform 9 3/4 as well as visit the Harry Potter gift shop right next door!
13. Take a stroll around Notting Hill. Notting Hill is one the most iconic neighborhoods in London. Here you can visit Portobello Market, Hummingbird Bakery, or take a Notting Hill Film Tour. Also, If you are visiting in August, then you will be able to visit the Notting Hill Carnival – Europe’s biggest street festival!
14. Have some drinks at The Churchill Arms. The Churchill Arms is a lovely pub located in Kensington. The pub is known to be the first pub in London to serve Thai food, (you must try Thai while in London!) and is always beautifully decorated with hanging flowers and greenery.
15. Finally, go shopping at the famous department store, Harrods. Harrod’s is a luxurious department store home to designer fashion and lavish gifts and accessories. Take the escalator up to the second floor to find the Harrod’s gift shop as well as an Ice Cream parlor, Tea Room, and other eateries.
Shop My Travel Essentials
I hope you enjoyed this post! Click here for my Paris Travel Guide!