Stop saying “What if”

Hello lovies!

First things first, yes the above picture is of me. (insert laughing face emoji) I went skydiving on my 18th birthday – and I can say by far is one of the most fearless and amazing things I’ve ever done!

I decided to start a new series on my blog, #MondayMotivation. I don’t know about you but Monday is always the most dreadful day of the week for me. The weekend is over, bringing on a whole new never-ending to-do list for the week. What better day to spark some inspiration?! Let’s face it, we all need some on a Monday.

Why you should stop saying “What if.”

Creates Negative thinking. Most the time sentences that start with “What if” probably go something like this: “What if I don’t get this job.” “What if I fail this test.” “What if I embarrass myself.” or “What if I don’t make the team.” …maybe i shouldn’t try at all. NO, NO, NO! Stop setting yourself up for failure. The biggest critic of yourself is you.

It isn’t a great motivator. Thinking about all the things that might happen is not a great way to prepare yourself. Truth is it does absolutely nothing to help you with whatever you are worried about. Nothing worth doing is ever easy. Don’t waste time thinking about what could be, instead use your energy on preparing yourself to take on your goals!

Prevents you from living in the NOW. Instead of wondering “what if,” use this as an opportunity to take action! Don’t focus on scenarios that probably won’t even happen. Try to live in the moment instead of focussing on the past or future. “Live in the moment and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.”

I hope you enjoyed this post! Don’t forget to tune in next Monday for the next #MondayMotivation.

Share:

17 Comments

1. February 17, 2017 / 5:12 pm

Oh goodness, what an amazing experience skydiving must’ve been! It’s been on my list for ages, but now that we’re expecting a little one oh-so-soon, I don’t think it’ll be happening any time soon… Thanks for the all-too-important reminder to stop being our own biggest critic.

2. February 16, 2017 / 5:05 am

These are perfect reminders– it’s hard to get stuck in a negative and ‘what if’ way of thinking. I like the points you make.

3. February 15, 2017 / 8:49 pm

Funny – I did skydive when i turned 18. Not for my birthday – think i was more like 18 and a half! My mum wouldn’t speak to me prior to it. She thought i was being stupid but then was proud when i had lol x

4. February 15, 2017 / 7:01 pm

Thank you for sharing this post! I have a girlfriend who is going through a tough time right now and she can’t seem to get away from the “what if’s…” I definitely am going to send this to her to read!

5. February 15, 2017 / 1:42 pm

Love this post! Thanks for the reminder and motivation!

6. Candice Nikeia
    February 15, 2017 / 5:07 am

This was such an inspiring read as I’m working on these techniques!

7. February 15, 2017 / 1:02 am

This is really something I’m working on…I haven’t been too successful yet but I’m making progress! That quote at the top is one of my all-time favorite quotes! <3

8. February 15, 2017 / 12:16 am

Such a great reminder!

| diaryofasouthernmillennial.com

9. February 14, 2017 / 7:59 pm

I think saying what if can also be good. It helps create goals and motivation, but it’s important to not be stuck in that thought and be able to just do it.

10. February 14, 2017 / 6:50 pm

I love posts like this, they are always so inspiring and put everyone in a better mood. And girl, you are BRAVE I would never be able to jump off a plane!

11. February 14, 2017 / 4:48 pm

Thinking positively is a great way to change your life, and if you start by loving Mondays, it’s even better! I totally agree with taking out the “what if” and living in the now! GREAT ADVICE!

12. February 14, 2017 / 4:06 pm

Yes negative talk brings negativity into your life! I am always reminding myself to watch my words and stay away from debbie downers! 🙂 I love this idea for a weekly series!

13. February 14, 2017 / 1:32 am

Thanks. Don’t know anyone who really likes Mondays. But that’s because of the weekend. It would be the same for poor Tuesday if Monday were part of the weekend. Somehow, I don’t mind Mondays. Your post was sweet. Well written. Keep up the good work.

• February 14, 2017 / 1:47 am

Thanks! That is good that you don’t mind them – I am trying to have a more positive outlook towards them 🙂